Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I'm a wanderer

Ever since I was in middle school I've told myself that after I graduated college I was moving out of Virginia -preferably to the south. And now that I'm in college, and graduating in three years I think about it more and more. It's gotten so bad that I have actually started looking up houses in other states to buy. Of course, I have no money so I'm thinking I'll still have to live with my mom after I graduate to save up money, but I am just so itchy to move and I didn't know why.

But now that I've been away from home for a year, I know. I love my independence. I get a little bit and I soak it all in and I want more and more and more. Yes, I know I'll miss my family - but they've been with me all my life. I need to see how I do without them for a while. I love them all but sometimes if you don't jump you'll never know if you can fly. I may not like it - I may hate living in Alabama (yes, this week I've settled on living in Altoona, Alabama), I may hate being so far away from my family. But I have to go or else I'll hate myself for not trying to live on my own.

I've never lived anywhere except Virginia. Every summer I go up to New York to see my grandma and grandpa. And yes, I've been to Canada and New Mexico. Yes, I've been to Florida and all along the east coast, but I've never lived there. I've never been in these places for longer than two weeks at a time. After being in New York City I realized that the reason I've been planning my big move all these years is because I've never experienced the world before. And as soon as I get enough money I am going to march myself (or drive myself) down to Altoona, Alabama (*this is subject to change) and put a down payment on that gray $105,000 3 bedroom home.

Of course, that cute rancher in Cary, North Carolina still looks good to me.

Either way, I will leave. I will leave Virginia so that I can cross "Leave Virginia for at least one year" off of my to do list and after that year is up will I decided to stay or go. Maybe I will return to Virginia, maybe I will move to another state, maybe I'll move to another country, maybe I will stay where I am.

While I was at school I was always doing something. I was never bored, I was never in my dorm room just sitting. I was always with someone else, talking, laughing, watching movies, singing songs, going to Walmart or Bdubbs. Ever since I got home I have been restless.

I am restless. I am a wanderer. I am a restless wanderer.

No comments: