Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Charlie and Kath: Pillow Talk

He was just about asleep when Kath rolled over and whispered, “If you could be anyone in the world, who would you be?” It wasn’t unusual for her to ask questions like this late at night. She was a night owl by nature, turned morning pro (not person per se, because she really wasn’t a morning person. She just mastered the ability to wake up early) by Charlie’s constant persuasion for the past year.

“I don’t know,” he said rolling over and trying to go back to sleep.

But Kath wasn’t stopping anytime soon, and he should have known that. Instead of taking his answer and rolling over, she sat up, and rested her arms on his back and said, “Come on, tell me.”

Charlie took a deep sigh and thought for a moment, while Kath waited patiently. “Well,” he turned over so that she was resting on his chest and he wrapped one arm around her. “I guess I’d wanna be Calvin Coolidge”

“What?” Kath giggled, “Why him?”

“I don’t know. Because he was cool as all get out. And he was president, I mean, who doesn’t want to be president? And he was chill.

“Oh he was?” Kath mocked fake enthusiasm.

“Yes, he was.” Charlie tickled her side and she smacked him lightly.

“That’s cool, I guess.” She said. “I would wanna be Peter Pan.”

“You’d wanna be a dude? Is there something you’re not telling me?”

“No,” Katherine laughed. Charlie loved her laugh. Especially when it was genuine, real, and raw. “I’d want to be like Peter Pan.”

“And why’s that?” Charlie had to hold back a chuckle.

“Because he lives in Neverland, which is so cool. They have pirates and mermaids and Indians. And he gets to stay young forever! And he gets to have fights with all the pirates and swim with the mermaids. She sighed thinking about it, like it was the most wonderful thing in the world. Which the Kath, it might as well have been. “And he can fly,” she added.

“Oh yeah, can’t forget that.” Charlie buried his nose in her cheek and then gave her a kiss. “I think it would get boring to live forever though,” he said.

Kath thought for a moment. “Nope,” she smiled. “I’d always find something to do.” Then she turned to him, raising an eyebrow. “Don’t you think?”

Charlie smiled, “You? I’m sure of it.”

He must have said something right, because in the next moment she leaned in and kissed him.


--

Special thank you to Jeffy for the Calvin Coolidge idea. :P

No comments: