Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Charlie and Kath: The Sound of Goodbye

The plane was leaving in an hour, but Katherine was never on time. The security check in line was overflowing, but Kath was taking her time browsing Hudson News for a few magazines and the daily paper.

From the other side of the counter, Charlie watched as she browsed. He wished he had a sketch pad right now to draw her. He wasn’t as skilled as Kath, but he could capture this no problem. She was an angel in her black skinny jeans tucked into her ugly old black boots, green pea coat and matching knit beanie hat. They complemented her radiant deep auburn hair perfectly. It was wavy and frizzy today, instead of its normal straighten. But she didn’t have time this morning to do her hair. She stood on her tip toes to reach a magazine on the top shelf, kicking one foot up in the process. A man standing behind her had to back up for fear she’d kick him. But she didn’t notice. Her mom had always described her as “a bull in a china shop”.

She was so beautiful; Charlie had to catch his breath. It was times like these, when she was just quiet, peaceful, and majestic that he wondered how he got so lucky. Yes, he was one of those guys who was sappy in his moments.

When Kath looked over at him, she smiled and held up her magazine mouthing, “Half price.” And then she stuck her tongue out and did this crazy little happy dance.

“And then there are moments like that,” Charlie said to himself. “That remind me I’m the only one who’ll put up with her.” But it was all a joke. He loved her inside and out, crazy and calm, perfect and flawed. He loved everything she was.

After they’d paid for the magazines, Kath slipped them into her carryon bag and slipped her arm through Charlie’s. “Well, my dear,” she said in a fake British accent, “What will you do without me for two weeks?”

Charlie stopped and pulled her to him, resting his hands around her waist. “Cry,” he said.

Kath wrinkled her nose. “No,” she said. “I forbid it. You’ll go out with the guys, play a little poker, maybe?”

“Poker sounds nice.”

“Kick their butts for me.” She hugged him, resting her head on his shoulder. “That way you can take me out to eat when I get back.”

“Oh, I’ll do that,” Charlie rolled his eyes dramatically.

“Hey,” she said seriously. “I love you, you know.”

“I know, babe.” Charlie said. It was a rare occurrence for Kath to say the L word. Not that she didn’t feel it. It’s just it was a big deal to her. So whenever she said it, he really made sure he assured her that he knew. Kath stood back up and looked at him.

“Christmas isn’t going to be the same without you. I don’t even like California. It’s too hot there. What if I’m not in the mood to drink coffee?”

“You’re never in the mood not to drink coffee,” Charlie assured her.

“That’s because it’s always cold here.”

“I think you’ll be fine.”

“What if I just ‘missed’ my flight?” she used her hands to make air quotes.

“I think your grandma would be upset,” Charlie said. “You better get going. They’ll be boarding soon and you haven’t even had your bags checked.”

“Alright.” She hugged him again and kissed his cheek.

“Good-,” but he didn’t have a chance to finish.

“Stop it,” Kath put her finger up to his mouth to shush him. “Don’t say it.”

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I forgot. I’ll see you when you get back.”

“Yes you will.” And with that, she picked up her bag and went to get in line. Charlie turned to leave and started walking for the escalator when Katherine grabbed his shoulders and he spun around.

Her eyes were lined with tears that hadn’t begun to fall and with a whisper she said “Kiss me.” And he did.


--

Inspiration for this story came from the song She Is by Ben Rector. I've become quite obsessed with the sound of his voice and his lyrics.

"She hails from Boston.

She hates the sound that goodbyes make.

She loves Sundays and champagne.

She can’t stand the winter.

She can’t stand anything that she can’t change.

That she can’t change.


She is whatever she wants to be.

She is a little of everything.

Mixed up, so tough in a beautiful way.

She’s got the world at her fingertips.

She makes beauty look effortless.

And I want everything she is."

- - Ben Rector

No comments: