Sunday, June 20, 2010

Some day, in the far off future.

This is my first summer home from college. I survived my first year of college and returned to my place of residence. And it's nice.

But I want to be on my own. I want to live alone so badly. And it's not because I don't love my family. But I've lived with them for nineteen years, and now that I've gotten my taste of freedom I want it back.

The thing is, I don't want an apartment. I want to move. I want to move to North Carolina in a small little town, live in a cute little cottage next to the river, have my own little dock to tie up a boat, and have a HUGE back yard for my dog to run around in because of course I'll get a little corgi and name him Oscar.

I like Virginia. But I like freedom. I like North Carolina. I like the idea of living on my own in my own house that I can decorate any way I want. Pictures of my family in every room of course, curtains instead of blinds, potted daisies on the front porch every spring, black-eyed Susan's in the backyard. I want to take my corgi out on the boat with me and fish, and swim with my friends. I want to be able to say "I'm going to visit my parents in Virginia for the weekend."

And maybe I won't live there forever, maybe it'll just be a year or two. Maybe I won't even like it. But I'll live and I'll learn.

I might possibly move out to New Mexico. I'll look out my window and see nothing but the beautiful red desert and turquoise sky. At night I'll watch the lightning dance across the earth and thank God that I could witness such a beauty. I'll drive out to Navajo lake every summer and spend all my time climbing the mesas and looking at the ruins at Chaco.

I don't know where I'll be. But I know that I want it to be fun.

No comments: