Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer Nights

In bare feet I run around the yard at twilight with an empty mason jar in my hand. I am surrounded by dancing fireflies and an orchestra of crickets. It is summertime; the season with the most beautiful nights of all.

The boat house on the lake hides a rusty old 1980 Mastercraft ski boat along with years of priceless memories. And a newly wed couple sit with their feet hanging from the dock into the cool water, lightly splashing one another and chuckling at private jokes, sharing secret kisses while they think no one is watching.

Gran sits in her favorite rocking chair lulling her youngest grand child to sleep as Granddaddy sits beside her with his eyes closed saying a quiet prayer for this blessed day.

Except for the crickets I hear nothing but the sound of my own breathing. In. Out. In. Out. And as I look around me at all of this beauty I think.. This is what Heaven will be like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture of a heavenly setting, Lindsey. I would love to spend some time there.

Unknown said...

that made me smile.... i love reading your blogs!