Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Untitled" Part One

I've been writing a lot lately. And it resulted in this.
-----


“What can I get for you?” Amanda asked him as he sat down at the counter. He was dressed in a sweater vest over his shirt and a leather jacket, his dark hair was shaggy and face unshaven for a few days. His brown eyes were tired and watering from the cold air and his rubbed his hands together for warmth before looking up at her.
            “Just a cup of coffee,” was all he said.
            She smiled to herself and grabbed a mug.
            An hour later he’d had four cups of coffee and mostly sat staring at the counter, drawing fake works of art with his finger. Thirty minutes past closing time, Amanda stood behind the counter sweeping up imaginary dust to keep herself busy. She knew he had to leave sometime soon.
            “It’s probably none of my business,” she said leaning on the counter in front of him. “But you seem a little down.”
            “Guess I’m not very good at hiding it,” he said looking up. He smiled a little, but a sad smile. She smiled involuntarily when she noticed he had dimples.
            “It’s just, that’s your fourth cup of coffee in an hour and you’ve done nothing but stare at the counter or the wall.”
            “An hour? Oh you’re closed, right? I’ll get out of here.” He stood to put his jacket back on. Amanda knew she’d probably regret it, but she told him it wasn’t a problem and he could stay if he wanted while she “finished cleaning up”. Then she went back to sweeping up nothing.
            Every now and then, Amanda glanced up at the stranger, who was looking more and more familiar each time. She knew him from somewhere, but she didn’t know where. After a few minutes it was starting to annoy her that she couldn’t figure it out. She knew it wasn’t from the café. And it wasn’t from any place in town. She felt like it was on television. It had to be. He was on TV. But who was it?
            “What are you staring at?” he asked, genuinely confused. She was pulled out of her thoughts, clearly unaware that she’d been staring.
            “Sorry,” she said, “I didn’t realize I’d been-,” and then it hit her. “You’re Lee, right? Lee Ryan James. I knew I recognized you. You were on one of my favorite shows.”
            “Thanks,” he finished the last bit of coffee.
            “And you’re with, you’re with that girl, Claudia Yates, right?” Lee’s face fell and she immediately put two and two together. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”
            Lee managed a sad smile. “It’s alright,” his British accent was adorable.
            “Give me a few minutes to lock up here,” Amanda said grabbing his empty mug. “I think you need something stronger than coffee.”
            Thirty minutes later they were outside a small ice cream vendor on Plum Avenue, just a block from Amanda’s flat. She hadn’t been in London long, but she knew where to get good ice cream. She made sure of that. Lee sat at the picnic table facing the empty street while Amanda waited in line. “Hi Amanda,” the man behind the plate glass said as she stepped up to make her order.
            “Oh, hello Norman,” she replied with a slight smile. “I’ll take two small cakebatter cups please.”
            “There you are,” Norman said when he brought them to her. “It’s alright,” he said when she tried to pay. “I’ve got them for you.” He smiled like a kid at Christmas. Amanda awkwardly smiled back. She knew he had a huge crush on her, but he just wasn’t her type.
            “Thanks, Norman,” she turned to walk away.
            “Amanda,” he said and she turned to him. “Did you- did you get my note?”
            “Yes I did. And the flowers,” Amanda said.    
            “I thought you’d like them, daffodils.”
            “Yes, they are my favorite, huh.” She really wanted him to stop talking now.
            “Yeah, you told me that,” he smiled.
            “I remember. They were sweet, thank you.” She turned again to go.
            “Amanda…”
            She turned to face him once again. “Yes?”
            “If you ever want to go out sometime, you know you can call me, right?”
            “Goodnight Norman,” and she walked over to the table with Lee. “Here you go,” she said placing the cup in front of him and then digging into hers.
            “You know,” Lee said taking the cup. “When you said I needed something stronger than coffee, I thought we were going to a bar.”
            “Oh no,” Amanda smiled. “No, I never drink to feel better, I drink to feel even better.”
            Lee took a bite of ice cream. “Oh, that’s good.”
            “I know,” Amanda smiled. “Best homemade ice cream I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a lot of ice cream.”
            Lee smiled. For the first time tonight, he really smiled. “Look,” Amanda said, “you smiled. The ice cream’s definitely working.”
            He looked up at her. “Yes,” he said, “it definitely is. Although, it does seem strange, eating ice cream when it’s freezing cold out here.”
            “Well when you eat it when it’s hot outside, it melts too quickly. This way it stays colder longer.”
            “What so your lips stay frozen longer too?” Lee laughed.
            “Precisely,” Amanda said.
            “So is that your boyfriend in there?” Lee nodded his head toward the window where Norman occasionally and not so subtlety glanced in their direction.
            “Uh, no,” Amanda said with a sigh. “He’s my neighbor.”
            “Very friendly,” Lee said.
            “Yeah, he has a bit of a crush on me.”
            “A bit? No, that’s like a mega-byte.”
            “Yeah, poor guy. I keep trying to give him a clue, but he doesn’t know how to take a hint.” A few moments of silence passed before Amanda mucked up the courage to ask, “Do you want to talk about it?”
            “I don’t know,” Lee said really fast. “I haven’t really talked about it with anyone, yet.”
            “It’s alright if you don’t want to,” Amanda said.
            “No, I do want to… but I just…” he finished off his ice cream and stuck his spoon in the cup. “She left.” Lee looked as if he was about to cry, but didn’t.
            “I’m- I’m sorry.”
            “She met someone else. Moved out.”
            Amanda just stared at his tired eyes. She realized now that he’d probably cried so much already, that he was all dried up. She took a deep breath in.
            “I know what you need,” Amanda said. “Come on.”
            They walked the two blocks to her apartment and climbed up to the third floor. “This is nice,” Lee said as they entered. “Much better than my first flat.”
            “Yeah,” Amanda said. “When I first moved here, I got off the plane and had no idea where I was gonna go. I just needed a cup of coffee, so I asked the first person where to go and they led me to the café. Kevin, the owner, got me a cup.” Amanda smirked a little and Lee sat down on the couch while she went to start a pot of tea. “He was the only one working and so I just grabbed an apron and a hat and started working. I was on payroll by the end of the day. But by the end of the night, Kevin invited me to stay with him and his wife until I found an apartment. And less than a week later I was in here. And I got her to knock two hundred dollars off the rent because an old woman who used to live here died in here and no one wanted it.”
            “Well, I say you sprung a deal.” Lee smiled. And after a few moments he added, “I wish we could do that on set. They won’t give you an audition so you just walk up and start reciting lines in front of the camera.” He chuckled and Amanda smiled involuntarily like before.
            “I think Kevin was desperate. And now I’m practically running the café myself because he’s got a newborn at home. But I don’t mind. More money for me.” Amanda sat down beside him on the couch and tucked her feet up underneath her. It felt weird to be hanging out with a celebrity. Not that he was very famous, a few movies and mini-series here and there, and his main show hadn’t even premiered in the U.S. yet, but he was still a celebrity to her.
            “How long have you been here?” Lee asked. By now he had his jacket off and slung over the back of the couch.
            “I moved here about six months ago. My friend was supposed to come with me, but she said she needed more time to save up money and so I told her I was going and she could just come when she was ready. But I knew she wouldn’t come. She’s not a spontaneous kind of person, and this was very last minute.”
            “I like spontaneity,” Lee said. Then his face fell, “Sometimes.” 
            “I know what you need,” Amanda said getting up and running into her room.
            “No more ice cream, please, I’m full!”
            “No!” Amanda ran back out with a DVD in her hand. She held it up for him to see.
            “Love Actually?” he asked skeptically. “I don’t do chick flicks.”
            “It has Liam Neeson in it,” she replied. “It’s not a chick flick.”
            “Oh no, you’re putting it in the player. You’re really going to make me watch this aren’t you?”
            “No,” Amanda said matter-of-factly. “I’m going to watch it, and you can stay or you can leave. The door’s unlocked.” She sat back down on the couch and switched off the light.
            Lee looked from the TV to the door and then back at Amanda. He smiled, defeated. “Alright, but I’m not sorry if my feet smell,” he said untying his shoelaces.
            “Just keep them over there,” Amanda said, to which Lee replied by lifting a foot up to her face.
            “Ew!” she cried smacking it away. But Lee just laughed. “You want some popcorn? Or are you too full?” She was mocking him.
            “No, I couldn’t.” And after a few moments. “Yeah, you better make some.”
            When Lee had been introduced to a movie that he claimed was “alright” but Amanda knew he loved, it was two o’clock in the morning. “Thank you so much,” Lee said as she walked him outside. “You know, I don’t usually do this sort of thing.”
            “You mean, you don’t get ice cream with random baristas and then go back to their place only to watch chick flicks?”
            “Aha! You do admit that it’s a chick flick!”
            Amanda smirked. “It was nice to meet you Lee.”
            “You too, Amanda.”
            “I do want an autograph, too.”
            “Okay, well I don’t have any paper.”
            “Oh, you can just bring it by the café sometime,” she smiled.
            “Tomorrow?”
            “Tomorrow.” They held gaze for a few moments. “Wait a minute,” Amanda said.
            “What?”
            She took a deep breath in through her nose, smelling the air. “It’s going to snow.”
            “What?” Lee looked genuinely confused.
            “It’s going to snow. Tomorrow.”
            “No, the weatherman isn’t calling for snow.”
            “I’m positive. Tomorrow, it’s happening. You’ll probably want to bring that autograph by early.”
            “I’m telling you, it’s not going to snow.”
            “Oh yeah?” Amanda raised her eyebrows. “How much do you want to bet?”
            “I’m not betting you.”
            “Fifty dollars.”
            “Dollars or pounds?”
            “Pounds. They’re worth more if I need to convert.”
            “You’re on.” Lee shook her hand and then smirked, walking away. “I’ll see you tomorrow!” he said heading for a cab.
            “Bring my money!” she yelled back.

-----

Oh, if only things like this happened in real life.  

No comments: