Saturday, April 28, 2012

Obsessed? I prefer "Passionate".

My one true vice in this world is the WB/CW show Gilmore Girls (2000-2007). Short synopsis - it's about a single mom (Lorelai Gilmore) raising her daughter (Rory) through her teenage years and then in college. It begins in Rory's sophomore year of high school and finishes after she's just graduated college. The show has many ups and downs and drama and comedy swirled in one savory sitcom. 


I didn't start watching the show until about seventh grade, so 2003ish? And then finished with the finale. I laughed, I cried, and I learned Sarcasm 101 from Lorelai whose witty banter inspired me to be Lorelai-esque. 


I read and wrote with Rory, played dress up with Emily, danced with Miss Patty, argued with Taylor, goofed off with Kirk, went fishing with Luke, complained with Michel, cooked with Sookie, and rocked out with Lane, all while juggling whether I liked Jess or Logan more (Jess, of course). I quoted and mimicked and took quotes from the show as my own and then proceeded to buy every season (1-7). Gilmore Girls was more than a show for me, but rather a lifestyle. 


So in honor of my Gilmore Girls post, I'd like to leave you with some funny quotes and clips from the show. Enjoy. 


Scene from 3x20 Say Goodnight, Gracie


Scene from 2x16 There's the Rub


Coffee Talk - Seasons 1-5. 




This next scene wouldn't embed into this post, but please view it [here]. It's from the pilot episode and it's hilarious. Showing off Michel and his antics. 
And of course, my favorite of these scenes wouldn't embed either, but here's the clip [here]. It's Rory's graduation speech from high school and it's so beautifully written and said and projected. I know it by heart (don't judge me). 


And now enough clips, but here's some quotes that I couldn't find clips for. Enjoy. 


Rory: Lorelai Gilmore. Nope, doesn't sound model-y enough. You need something that stands out more. How about Waffle. We could call you Waffle and say you're from Belgium. 
--
Dave Rygalski: A few weeks ago you told me that Lane had a crush on me. Well, I have a crush on her, too. Now, I know you have very strict rules about dating and boys, but I just want you to know that I'm a good person. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I've never gotten a ticket, I'm healthy, I take care of myself, I floss. I never watch more than 30 minutes of television a night partly because I think it's a waste of time and partly because there's nothing on. I respect my parents, I do well in school, I never play video games in case they do someday prove that playing them can turn you into a serial killer. I don't drink coffee. I hate soda because the carbonation freaks me out. I'm happy to give up meat if you feel strongly about it. I don't mind wearing a tie. I enjoy playing those hymns on my guitar, and I really, really want to take your daughter to the prom. 
--
Rory: Oh, and I told Paris that you would make all of our costumes so she wants to have a concept meeting with you tomorrow at three. 
Lorelai: What? 
Rory: Yeah, she needs a resume and samples of your previous work and, uh, referrals. 
Lorelai: And my bare butt to kiss? 
Rory: If you think that will set you apart from the other applicants, yes. 

--
Rory: He's the boy who dissected a frog, did not wash his hands, and then ate a sandwich. 
Lorelai: Ew! 
Rory: He's like the lost Farrelly brother. He's so stupid. He watched 'The Breakfast Club' and decided to tape his own butt cheeks together. 

--
Rory: We came here. They broke into the headmaster's office as the big initiation. 
Lorelai: Ugh, those stupid girls. 
Rory: Uh huh. Part of the initiation was ringing a bell. So, that's what I was doing when security showed up and they called you. 
Lorelai: That's what you got busted for? That's it? Bell-ringing? 
Rory: Yes. 
Lorelai: Were you at least smoking a Cuban cigar while you were doing it? 
Rory: Mom. 
Lorelai: No, I mean, "bad girl, how many times have I told you not to ring bells?" 
Rory: Let's go. 
Lorelai: "They can dent, or scratch, and they make dogs go crazy. Who do you think you are, the Hunchback of Notre Dame? Are you French? Circular? I don't think so." 

--
Logan: Rory, you're special. 
Rory: Like "stop-eating-the-paste" special? 

--
Marty: Okay. I remember something about Rome. Rome. Rome. Romans live there. Audrey Hepburn took a holiday there. It's the name of a B52s song. 
Rory: Different Rome. 
Marty: Okay. That's it. I can't remember. College is breaking my spirit. Every single day telling me things I don't know, it's making me feel stupid. 

--
Richard: Focus, please. 
Lorelai: I am a camera. 

--
Rory: So, is this party Grandma's having going to be a big deal? 
Lorelai: Not really. The government will close that day. Flags will fly at half-mast. Barbra Streisand will give her final concert... again. 
Rory: Uh-huh. 
Lorelai: Now, the Pope has previous plans, but he's trying to get out of them. However, Elvis and Jim Morrison are coming and they're bringing chips. 

--
Lorelai: Give me a burger, onion rings, and a list of people who killed their parents and got away with it. I need some heroes. 
--
Emily: You were on the phone? 
Richard: Long distance. 
Lorelai: God? 
Richard: London. 
Lorelai: God lives in London? 
Richard: My mother lives in London. 
Lorelai: Your mother is God? 
Richard: Lorelai... 
Lorelai: So, God *is* a woman. 
Richard: Lorelai. 
Lorelai: *And* a relative. That's so cool. I'm gonna totally ask for favors. 

--
Lorelai: It means like, Virgin Mary. It means they think you look like a goody-goody. 
Rory: You're kidding. 
Lorelai: No. 
Rory: Well what would they have called me if they thought I looked like a slut? 
Lorelai: Well, they might have added a Magdalene to it. 
Rory: Wow. Biblical insults. This is an advanced school. 

--
Rory: So, Grandpa, how's the insurance biz? 
Richard: Oh, people die, we pay. People crash, we pay. People lose a foot, we pay. 
Lorelai: Well, at least you have your new slogan. 

--
Emily: I did not steal your father, I simply gave him a choice. 
Richard: When you came to my fraternity in that blue dress, I had no choice. 
Lorelai: You stole my father with fashion. 

--
Rory: I can't even open my eyes. 
Lorelai: That's okay, there's nothing to see. Kirk's in a Speedo, Taylor's in a skirt, Al's in assless chaps. 
Rory: Oh my God, stop. I'm never gonna be able to close my eyes again. 

--
Mia: The town had a fake murder? 
Lorelai: Yes, because the town is too dull to have a real murder. 

--
Jess: Romeo and Juliet had warring families and they still managed to do a little damage, you know? 
Luke: Well, as soon as I catch you in a pair of tights, I'll get worried. 

No comments: