Saturday, April 21, 2012

Relay for Life

In October of 2010, I found out my dad had cancer. And as I watched him go through the treatment it tore me up inside. And in December that same year, I distinctly remember I was in New York on my second mission trip to Bowery in Manhattan, when I got a call from him and he'd finished treatment and it was all gone and he sounded himself again. It was the best day of my life.

And then, this past Christmas break, 2011, my fears were confirmed after a month or so of speculation, that yes, the cancer had returned and it was much worse. But he's since then been getting treatment, and it is over.

I've come to the realization that God puts obstacles in our lives for a reason and even though it drives me crazy that we don't know for certain if this is the last time he'll ever have to go through this or if this is something he'll be fighting for the rest of his life. All I know for certain is that God is following through on His plan and we'll never know exactly what it is.

I'm a very private person and I hardly ever show much emotion, thanks to my mother for pointing it out to me. I never cry in front of people and tend to keep everything inside, but right now, in light of Relay for Life, I'm letting it all out.

I don't have to be as strong as I make myself believe and I don't have to have everything under my control. It's okay to ask for a little help now and then. But of course, I am my father's daughter, because I'm exactly like him.

Tonight, I walked a lap for my dad, a second time cancer survivor, and hopefully for the rest of his long and healthy life.

I love you daddy.

No comments: