Thursday, November 24, 2011

Karma, it's a female dog.

So let's talk about my Thanksgiving. It's actually quite hilarious at some points.

I woke up this morning to my mother telling me that we weren't all getting together at my aunt's house like we'd originally planned because Papa Rowe was in the hospital and they'd been in the emergency room all night. So that kind of sucked and I don't know how he's doing, but I think someone mentioned he was okay now, so that's good.

SOOOOOOOOOO, instead of going and having a nice family dinner we went to Shoney's by my Nana & Papa's house at 1 for lunch. Well, number one, I hate Shoney's. Number two, this is not how I'd like to spend my Thanksgiving, but there was nothing I could do about it so I didn't protest.

So we're sitting in Shoney's and we've just finished lunch when a police officer comes barreling in the restaurant and he's going around asking for someone. Well, he comes to our side and says something. And I swore I heard him say "Jones" (my grandparents' last name). But he went somewhere else. And we're all in a fuss because no one knows who he's looking for until he comes back and says, "Jones"? And it turns out he was looking for my Papa and he asks him to step outside for a minute.

Well, my mom goes out there with them while Nana, AJ, and I sit at the table metaphorically in the dark about all this. And rumors are flying around by wait staff and customers that someone hit our car.

Then mom comes back and apparently someone swerved into the parking spot next to their car, hit their front driver's side hub cap, took out their whole front bumper (which includes a grill) that was laying on the ground right next to their car. And when the bumper flew off it hit the back of the car parked in front of them.

And of course, the driver drove off and so we talked with the police officer (who coincidentally went to college with my mom) and got everything sorted out we drove home.... Wellllll, on the way out of the parking lot I saw the police officer park at the bank next to Shoney's and then, I saw him drive over to another section of the parking lot and get out, checking a car. And I pointed it out to my mom and thought what if that was the person who hit us?

Sure enough, a half hour later at Nana & Papa's, they get a call from the officer saying he checked out that car, ran a scan, and went back into Shoney's. And do you know where she was sitting? AT THE TABLE NEXT TO US. The woman who hit my Papa's car was SITTING AT THE TABLE RIGHT BESIDE US.... And clearly EVERYONE in that banquet room knew very well what was going on. And then in hindsight, I did see her sneaking glances over at us while we talked about it. And I also may have said some very rude things about the driver and frankly, I'm glad she was there to hear it. I don't take any of it back.

So everything got sorted out, she's going to court and whatnot. And the thing that tickles me most is that she thought she'd gotten away with it. How hilarious.

And then Gabey Baby came over Nana's and I got to see him. And then mom and I came home (AJ went to dad's) and I made oreo truffles and finished Mockingjay, the third book in The Hunger Games series. I bawled like a baby, and now I'm going to enjoy my marathon of The Big Bang Theory. (:

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

No comments: